Affiliate marketing is a form of marketing where you refer someone to buy a product or a service online through your blog or website, you earn a commission. the commission varies from $1 to $5000 or even more depends on what kind of product you promote or market.
When you sign up as an affiliate with the company, they provide you a simple tracking code embedded in the URL to keep a track of traffic and sales generated from your blog or website. they also keep a track of your traffic generation methods, techniques used for promoting their products.
How does this work?
Many online product selling companies such as e-commerce, web hosting, and other services offer affiliate marketing programs. You can sign up for their affiliate program and get your unique tracking link. Now, you start writing the review of the products and tell your users pros and cons of the product and include your unique tracking link in the article and recommend to buy them.
If your readers click the unique link and buy something. You earn a commission.
You should carefully read the terms and conditions of the affiliate program while promoting the product. many affiliates offer 30-60 day cookie periods which means if a user clicks your unique tracking link and buy any product of the website within 30-60 days, you still earn a commission.
Here are some common terms in affiliate marketing
- Affiliates: Publishers like you and me are called affiliates who promote products and services through the unique link.
- Affiliate marketplace: There are many marketplaces like commission junction, share a sale, impact radius etc.
- Affiliate link: Unique tracking link provided to us to track the progress of your affiliate promotion.
- Payment mode: Different affiliate programs offer different methods of payment. Most companies prefer PayPal, paper cheques.
- Affiliate Manager/OPM: Companies assign dedicated affiliate managers to help publishers earn more by giving them optimization tips.
- Commission percentage/amount: The amount or percentage you would receive in affiliate income from every sale you make.
- Link cloaking: Link cloaking is a process of masking ugly and long looking affiliate tracking embedded links to nice readable links.
There are many affiliate companies like viglinks, cuelinks and skimlinks which will convert normal links to affiliate links when you signup and this is one of the easy ways to make money auto pilot while you concentrate on quality content which adds value to your readers.
There is no limit one can earn from affiliate marketing. My first earning is $50 for the product I personally used and promoted on my blog. There are many affiliate bloggers making thousands of dollars every month.
I hope this beginner guide to affiliate marketing helps you understand and get started. please feel free to ask me any questions you have from the comments below and thanks for reading my article.